This healthy & flavorful macro friendly chicken salad is a quick and easy high protein meal prep. This dish is creamy and flavorful without any mayo! This is a great option for healthy lunches that can keep you within your calorie targets.
Chicken salad was one of my favorite cold lunches on hot summer days in childhood. My mom made a delicious and easy chicken salad recipe that was so much better than anything you’d get in the grocery store deli.
However, it was also loaded with mayo, and I wanted to find a way to lighten that up to enjoy it more often.
At first, I tried a simple Greek yogurt chicken salad where I just swapped mayo out for Greek yogurt. That was pretty good, but not quite what I was going for.
I wanted some of the same savory flavor that mayo brings to the traditional chicken salad.
As I continued to test the recipe, I decided to add some light sour cream in with the Greek yogurt. THIS was it! It was creamy and savory, but the sour cream took some of the tart edge off of the yogurt which helped it more closely resemble the mayo version.
With a blend of delicious dried herbs and spices to give the dressing a ranch-style flair for the best flavor, this delicious chicken salad was made perfect.
Give this a try! You’re going to love it.
With the particular brands of ingredients I used, you get just over 200 calories per serving, 32 grams of lean protein, only 5 grams of fat, and just 7 grams of carbs! This is the chicken salad fitness dreams are made of.
To make this great recipe for macro friendly chicken salad, you need the following simple ingredients:
- Rotisserie Chicken – I like leftover rotisserie chicken to make this quick and easy, and you can’t beat the Costco $5 chicken. However, you can use any cooked chicken meat you want.
- Celery – Sliced crunchy celery stalks add lovely texture to the salad.
- Red Grapes – Also for crunch and a pop of sweetness. They are the best part of the salad in my opinion! Grapes are always my go-to because that’s how my mom made the salad, but you could also use cherries or apples.
- Plain Greek Yogurt – I use non-fat Greek yogurt (plain) as that’s what I always have on hand. You could use 2% for a little added creamy texture.
- Light Sour Cream – I love the way a bit of light sour cream balances the flavors of the dressing on this salad.
- Lemon Juice – A bit of lemon juice adds brightness and fresh flavor to the creamy dressing.
- Dried Herbs & Spices – This dressing has a ranch-style flair, so I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried dill.
- Sliced Almonds – A couple of tablespoons of sliced almonds add some crunch with some healthy fats.
To make this low calorie & healthy chicken salad recipe, follow the steps below:
1. Prep Chicken
Shred or chop your rotisserie chicken meat. You need about 400 grams of chicken, which is between 3-4 cups. Put shredded chicken in a large bowl.
2. Add Grapes and Celery
Slice your grapes and celery, then add them to the mixing bowl.
3. Make Dressing
In a small mixing bowl, add the Greek yogurt, light sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dill, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.
4. Combine Salad
Pour the Greek yogurt mixture over the bowl of chicken, celery, and grapes. Add the sliced almonds, then stir to thoroughly mix everything.
That’s it! This macro friendly chicken salad is super easy and absolutely delcious.
Tips & Variations
You can use any kind of chicken meat you want for this. My macros include the breast meat from a rotisserie chicken. Swapping for other types may slightly alter macros, but it will certainly be fine to do!
Try my dutch oven chicken for an easy way to meal-prep chicken breasts for this salad.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are also a good choice. You can cook them in a slow cooker (3-4 hours on low) or Instant Pot (8-10 minutes on high pressure with a 10-minute natural release) with a cup of broth. When they’re done cooking, chop and cool in the fridge.
Try using fresh cherries or chopped apples in place of grapes. Dried fruit is an option, but it often has sugar added so make sure you read the label.
Adding some sliced green onions or fresh dill in place of dried is a lovely touch.
This macro friendly chicken salad is a delicious healthy lunch option. Some of my favorite ways to serve it include:
- on top of a bed of greens (or even better, serve it with my Kale Crunch Salad recipe!)
- inside halved bell peppers
- in lettuce wraps
- in low carb tortillas as a wrap
- as a sandwich with slices of bread and thinly sliced red onion and some Dijon mustard
This recipe makes four servings. For one serving using breast meat, the macros are as follows:
- Calories: 207
- Protein: 32
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbs: 7 grams
Store leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is good for 3-4 days.
Want some other healthy remakes of classic recipes?
Did You Make This Recipe?
If you love this healthy & low calorie chicken salad recipe, please leave a comment and review! It means the world!
Want more recipes sent to your inbox each week? Sign up for my email newsletter!
Macro-friendly Chicken Salad
- 3-4 cups rotisserie chicken about 400 grams
- 1/2 cup grapes quartered or sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt 110 grams
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds 15 grams
- Shred or chop your rotisserie chicken meat. You need about 400 grams of chicken, which is between 3-4 cups. Put chicken in a large mixing bowl.3-4 cups rotisserie chicken
- Add your sliced celery and grapes to the mixing bowl.2 stalks celery, 1/2 cup grapes
- In a small mixing bowl, add the Greek yogurt, light sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dill, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp light sour cream, 1/4 tsp dried dill, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pour the Greek yogurt mixture over the bowl of chicken, celery, and grapes. Add the sliced almonds, then stir to thoroughly mix everything.2 tbsp sliced almonds